Saturday, June 1, 2013

Book Review: Joni & Ken

I finished listening to the audiobook, Joni & Ken: An Untold Love Story by Ken Tada and Joni Eareckson Tada.

The book had some important messages such as always relying on Jesus, giving your life to serving others, and that married life has some serious drudgery. Oh yeah, it helps if you spend time alone with your spouse too.

I've read other books by Joni and enjoyed them especially her first person view point. However, this book was written in the third person, and you were always aware that the authors are keeping you at arms' length. I felt that was the downfall of the book. Another downfall was the structure, and starting the book about a restaurant owner was a waste of words. Where was the editor in the writing of this book????

The book brings up the questions of sex, having children, and going to the bathroom, but never, ever answers those questions. Joni is a quadriplegic and don't tell me I am the only reader who wanted some kind of answers. I did research some going to the bathroom issues on the Internet, and decided if you think you have a bad life, be happy you can take yourself to the bathroom. If you can't, then maybe  you have other problems that make the bathroom problems just routine daily life and it's not a big deal anyway.

I first read Joni Eareckson's story when I was a young teen myself, and Joni was a vibrant young woman herself. It was shocking to learn she and her husband are in their sixties now. What happened? I  guess time happened! So if you would like to read this book, go to your local library. 

No comments: