Friday, December 30, 2011

Life is Not a Contest,

but it sure feels that way.

We give ourselves points on getting engaged, getting married, having babies, getting a job, getting a promotion, buying a house, and on and on and on. It's the American way. Who has the bigger house, the most children, the granite countertops? Who is winning?

I have felt like I have been losing. I have measured myself against others. It feels bad. Is it human nature to always want more, to never be happy with what we have? 

And when I watch HGTV, I want to scream (mostly at the wives) that you can live a happy life without granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. Gee, some of those wives sure seem entitled and snotty. Ick. Sure, I like a nice home, but some of those wives are over the top.

Yesterday when I was clearing out stuff, I was happy to find my glue gun especially since it provided the perfect solution to a little craft problem I had. What treasure do you have that is hidden deep in your stuff? You may already have everything you need, not what you want.

A shopping mall

3 comments:

All in His Perfect Timing said...

Yes! Sometimes I struggle with wanting more, when I don't need it. It's human nature, but I think that our appetite can be curbed a little. HGTV ... I so get your comment about that! Granite countertops and stainless appliances are not the be all and end all of life. However, in my job as a Cabinet Designer, it's what I get requests for the most.
That shopping mall is CRAZY!!! I couldn't go there without hyperventilating. Too many people!

Percolating Petals said...

First of all, thanks for your prayers this Advent! I was MIA because of my family visiting during Christmas and only now am getting pack to blogging.

Also, when my hubby and I watch HGTV, we usually can call out the high maintenance wives right away. The ones that sneer at perfectly new, BLACK (not steel) appliances. :)

Feel free to email me at kektucker at gmail dot com if you want to keep in touch. Many thanks again!

Lena said...

It's just a matter of time until stainless steel appliances will become outdated, and those wives will sneer at them.