Friday, December 16, 2011

Sickening, but I Watched Anyway

I'm talking about the show Toddlers & Tiaras on TLC, which is SO EASY to criticize.  I've never seen so many mothers with misplaced values. Why is it so important that their daughters win beauty pageants? Most of those little little girls are miserable. The only way you know these little girls are little girls is that they are short, and some wear diapers.  Even I don't like to wear that much make-up. Girls that young don't need make-up because they have flawless skin. Yet I watched two hours of this goofiness. Why? I don't know.

I had two thoughts: Acts of the Apostasy blog has an Adopt a Priestess Prayer Program. Maybe we need an Adopt a Pageant Mom Prayer Program.

When one little toddler was having a tantrum, I started wishing all the little girls would have tantrums at the same time and revolt against this trashy lifestyle and reclaim their childhood. Instead of having to stand still for spray tans, practice fake smiles, and wear uncomfortable itchy clothes, they could wear comfy Carters and run free through a playground. They could laugh and swing on the swings and color and be read to and use their imaginations and play make-believe. They could roll down a hill, run through a sprinkler, jump in a puddle, and create fake food with clay. There's a big difference between girls playing dress-up and girls being dressed up.

Speaking of dressing up, I just realized that I have been wearing two different earrings all day instead of a matched pair. Yep, no threat of me taking home the Grand Ultimate Taco Supreme Crown.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I agree! And, sometimes I end up watching an episode or two or something equally as crazy. And, the other day I ended up wearing only one earring, so you're doing great to have on two!! ;-)