Saturday, January 12, 2013

Modern Guilt for Modern Times

I may or may not start a new temp job next week. I've been going back and forth with the temp agency, who has been going back and forth with the Big Company. One person has to confirm or pass information up and down the chain and the process gets slowed down.

On Thursday I told temp agency person I can start on Monday. Temp Agency Person said I'll receive an email on Friday with details of the assignment. I left my home in the afternoon.

I do not have a smart phone.

I have a new cell phone of normal intelligence (read cheap) that only person has the number to. I choose to not be attached to my cell phone all the time. I choose not to live that cell phone lifestyle. I have a a landline phone, and plenty of people have that phone number.

When I came home yesterday evening there was a message on my phone and an email from the Temp Agency guy. It wasn't the email with the details of where to go on Monday or the name of the manager. (Big Company has many branches). He just needed me to confirm that I can start work on Monday. Then once I'll confirm, he'll tell his people and so on and so on. But on Friday evening the temp agency and big company are closed.

So, I suppose I'm not working Monday. I don't know where I would go.

The point is that I have guilt over this missed message. Guilt because I choose to keep my cell phone number a secret. Actually it's so new that I don't even know the number without looking.

Maybe this is the reason I'm not making six figures as an executive - I like keeping work and personal life in their separate boxes.

I feel BAD I do not live the Cell Phone (or Smart Phone) lifestyle. I feel irresponsible like I'm letting down my employers.

However, God does not require me to have a cell phone. It's not one of the 10 commandments. Nor is it mentioned in the Gospel. Is there a Vatican encyclical or bull about this?

I realize I have to keep up with the times, but . . .

It's not like I am a doctor who must rush to perform lifesaving surgery.







1 comment:

Becky said...

I get what you're saying about living on a cell phone. When I go to the doctors, it's like everyone is either talking on their cell phone, texting, or browsing. Not to mention the kids! We're getting to the point where we have to have modern technology all the time!

I don't have a smart phone either, because I don't want to be consumed by the "need" of being always entertained. My phone is pretty normal.

Unfortunately, I think that people just expect you to have a cell phone so that you will always be able to catch messages and so on. It's part of the modern world, as you say.