Tuesday, December 11, 2012

To Write or Not Write a Christmas Letter?

I kind of want to write a Christmas card letter this year, but Christmas isn't about me. It's about Jesus. Sometimes when I receive a Christmas letter I think they're either boring or bragging. Sometimes letters are both boring and bragging.

Some Christmas letters are depressing because they contain news of death, sickness, and unemployment. Do I want to read about your escape from an abusive marriage? Well, good for you, but frankly, I don't want the details of a marriage gone bad. Or that your cat died and was found cold and stiff under the coffee table.

Some Christmas letters make me depressed because it seems they brag about their blessings, and I realize I don't have any blessings. I know, I know, I should count my blessings. But I compare myself, and come up short. So that's a bad thought cycle to get into.

I want to write a parody of a Christmas card letter, but won't that be criticizing my friends who write Christmas letters?

And those of you with children, pictures of your kids are fine, but I like to see the parents in the pictures. I am not friends with little Janie, Tiffy, Hunter, or Junior. I am friends with the parents.

And why should I write a Christmas letter? If people are my friends won't they already know what's going on in my life?

Whatever, do not use the apostrophe when you mean the plural.

It should be "Greetings from the Bombers" meaning more than one Bomber family member.
Bomber's or Bombers' mean something the Bomber family owns is sending the greeting. Maybe the Bombers' dog is sending the greetings, in which case the greeting would just be "woof."

Some Christmas letters I enjoy reading. Really, there are a few I enjoy.

Shouldn't this post, this blog be about Jesus? Maybe I'll do better next time.


No comments: