Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Advent - Time for Preparation

It's really difficult to get into the Christmas spirit sometimes.If someone dies, or if there's family conflict, or if I am just not feeling jolly, I can't really get into the whole jingle, jingle of it. (Someone told me that he hates the whole "forced merriment" of the season. I love that phrase). Usually it takes me most of Advent to get into the Christmas mood, and that's why I've sent out Christmas cards on December 26, 27, 28, and so on.

My pastor Father G. reminded us that Advent is to prepare for the coming of the Lord. It's not Christmas until December 25, and then it's Christmas for twelve entire days (until January 6).

No wonder, I'm not in the Christmas mood yet. I am just preparing, so I am not even expected to be in the Christmas spirit now .Hmm, I thought I was being humbugg-y all these years.We Catholics are suppose to be preparing during these the next few weeks. Hey if you're already in the Christmas Spirit then glad tidings to you. I'll just prepare for and proceed towards Christmas day by day at my usual slow place because I really do need every day of Advent. I have been normal and fine all these years.

By the way, did I mention I have an awesome collection of Advent calendars? One of my dear aunts gave me an Advent calendar every year when I was growing up, and I saved them all. Many of them were made in West Germany (before the wall came down).

No comments: