Saturday, February 25, 2012

Lent 2012 - Starting Off

 I must admit I did not make it to Mass on Ash Wednesday.
 I am very grateful to God and all those who prayed for me and helped me for my temporary work assignment. The adjustment has been fairly smooth, and I feel like I fit in. I'm filling in for a woman on medical leave. My employment there all depends on how quickly she recovers from surgery or how well I do, etc.. The office is a short drive from my home.
 For Lent I am, of course, praying for my prayer buddy. 
 For my Lenten sacrifice & growing spiritually activity I have decided to pray for X. Who is X? She is a close relative with whom I have a very stormy, tension-filled, anger-filled relationship. Every now and then we have moments of peace between us. But mostly, it's plain crappy. I will pray for her to ______. The blank is because I don't know what she needs (well, I do. Ha-ha). I'm sure I need a conversion in my heart towards this relative. You know, I am leaving it up to the Holy Spirit to work for us, between us. God knows how to use my prayers for good. I'll let Him sort out the good, the bad, and the ugly. And oh, the ugly does need to be made nice. Also, I don't know her intentions. 
 Sometimes I don't even like thinking about her, so thinking about her in prayer will be my sacrifice and hopefully develop good will in my heart.
 What does Blessed John Paul II have to say about prayer? Let me check my new favorite book that I am so glad to own.
 "Prayer can truly change your life. For it turns your attention away from yourself and directs your mind and your heart toward the Lord. If we look only at ourselves, with our limitations and sins, we quickly give way to sadness and discouragement. But if we keep our eyes fixed on the Lord, then our hearts are filled with hope, our minds are washed in the light of truth, and we come to know the fullness of the Gospel with all its promise and life."
 John Paul II, Meeting with Youth, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1987.
 John Paul II An Invitation to Joy is my new favorite book.

  
  

No comments: