Tuesday, March 1, 2011

“The King of glory comes, the nation rejoices”

I wish we would sing "The King of Glory" at Mass. Back in 1972-1973, we sang it A LOT at church. It is really spirited and a great summary too. It's meant to be sung loud and not slow. I'm not sure what the proper musical word is for fast or even regular speed.

So far this century, I've heard it sung once at my parish. The lead singer likes to pretend she is an opera singer and sang it s-l-o-w-l-y.

There's a line in there about visiting the cities and villages. Well, fake opera singer made the trip sound exhausting.

But back in the day, during the guitar Mass we sang with gusto. We sang it with so much gusto that it sounded like we were still rejoicing. Not only that, I felt so energized by the song that I was ready to walk to cities and villages, but I was a young child and had to stay very close to home.

I miss that song.

And I've never been to an opera, but watched a few minutes of it on t.v.I don't know how else to describe the way she sings.

I know the music people at church can't please all of the people all of the time, and we all have different tastes. Blah, blah, blah.


"The King of Glory comes, the nation rejoices
Open the gates before Him, lift up your voices.

Who is the King of Glory? How shall we call Him?
He is Emmanuel, the promise of ages.

In all of Galilee, in city or village
He goes among His people, curing their illness.

Sing then of David's Son, our Savior and Brother
In all of Galilee was never another.

He gave his life for us, the pledge of salvation,
He took upon himself the sins of the nation.

He conquered sin and death; He truly has risen.
And He will share with us His heavenly vision."

 Proper credit needs to be given to the songwriter.

No comments: