Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Birth Announcements

Apparently people I know in real life don't send birth announcements in the mail anymore. Back when I was informed of birth via mail (or even email), I would send congratulations and a gift. If the baby was nearby, I would actually hand deliver the gift and tickle the baby under the chin.

Now people are announcing the births on Facebook. I'm not on Facebook. Sure I hear about the birth sooner or later (usually later), but  I don't feel like buying a card or gift. I figure if I am hearing about a new baby second hand, I'm not really that close of a friend. Relying on Facebook just creates distance. Direct communication creates closeness.

Yes, I am becoming more old fashioned by the day.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I like birth announcements by mail too. Hey, if you want, I'll send one of Henry! We still have some left over. He's almost 6 months old, but what the heck.

I think birth announcements by FB is fine, but I'm not on FB either. It just seems too impersonal.