Monday, October 10, 2011

Yesterday, Awareness Month, T-Shirt, John Michael Talbot

It's Domestic Violence Awareness Month. At least that is what the Peace and Justice Group member announced before Mass started yesterday

It's also Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Why do we have to be reminded of scary breast cancer? Oh, wait - it's to raise money for the Susan G. Komen fund. That's the organization that reportedly gives money to Planned anti-Parenthood. It would be nice to know of other organizations that help fight breast cancer.

Lastly, it's Pro-Life month. Baby bottles were passed out at church for us to put our spare change in. We are suppose to bring the bottles filled with change back to church Oct. 22-23. The money will go to a crisis pregnancy center.

I was a communion minister yesterday. A teen-age boy came up to communion wearing a t-shirt that said, "Talk Nerdy to Me." As my friend Beth would say, "Did he have no other shirt he could've worn to Mass?"

Finally, some ladies and I traveled about 40 minutes to see John Michael Talbot. A week ago I didn't know he existed. It was two hours of preaching and music. I'm glad I went. I do like hearing classical guitar.

During one song, he said to breathe in the name of Jesus and breathe out anything that is not of God. Let go of that which troubles you. So on every exhale I visualized my phone and electronic bill going up to Heaven for God to take care of. I let go of the frustrations I felt with some of my family members. Maybe I should have let go the distraction of the talk nerdy t-shirt.

On the way home, there was upsetting talk of politics and the Occupy Wall Street movement. Well, there went some of the spiritual peace I was feeling.

Breathe in
Breathe out

Oh, Jesus, please take care of me.

No comments: