Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Spiritual Friendship

I recently read the book Walking Together: Discovering the Catholic Tradition of Spiritual Friendship by Mary DeTurris Poust and thought of my friend Jan. She was a very practicing Catholic.

We had a spiritual friendship then 11 months and 19 days ago she died at the age of 46. She had a chronic illness, and I was so glad I spent as much time as possible with her before she died. Sitting at her bedside in hospice with her family all around was the most meaningful thing I've ever done.  I don't think I wrote about her in this blog. I don't think I can write more about her life and death right now.

I can say that several weeks ago, some mutual friends and I went to visit her grave. On the way home from the cemetery I learned that her husband has already gone swimming in the dating pool. I don't get it. I am not saying there are rules for this sort of thing, or maybe there are rules. Believe me, I truly UNDERSTAND the desire for companionship. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that he already has had one relationship under his belt, and it hasn't even been a year. He hasn't done anything bad, but it just seems too soon.  They were married over 20 years and were unable to have children.

No comments: