Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mary-Our Lady of Guadalupe

Today is the Feast of the Assumption of Mary. The priest talked a little bit about how it came to be and why this feast day came to be in 1950.

It is also the 30 year anniversary of my maternal grandfather dying. My uncle was suppose to take me and my cousin to a baseball game, but that got canceled. Mostly I enjoyed being with one particular cousin that day because we were children and not at all close to our grandfather. My mom kept crying and hanging onto me. I was uncomfortable with her grief and clingy-ness. I do remember all of us trooping to Church that day because it was a Holy Day of Obligation.

Today in church, one of the readings was from the Book of Revelations. The first two lines sounded like a description of Our Lady of Guadalupe (sp?). I thought "oh, this is about OLOG." Well, I didn't think OLOG the acronym. Then I remembered that Revelations and the Bible was written centuries before OLOG appeared before J. Diego in Mexico.

Today's feast day is about Mary's body and soul going up to Heaven as if in an invisible elevator.

The day for Our Lady of Guadalupe is in December and celebrates her appearance to Juan Diego. I believe his name is Juan. Now I am going to research OLOG. Luckily, I'm in the library right now, a perfect place for research.

God Bless Everyone.

No comments: